2 cups Galmo (dry small shrimp), washed and rinsed twice with water,
1 medium onion, chopped fine,
1 tomato, chopped into 1 inch pieces,
2 new potatoes, chopped into 1 inch pieces,
1/2 tsp turmeric powder,
1 tbsp paprika,
5 tbsp coconut milk,
2 tbsp garam masala,
5-6 pieces of sola (kokum),
1 tsp salt,
1 tbsp oil.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat add the chopped onions and potatoes and stir fry till they are well coated with the oil.
- Next add the salt, turmeric powder, paprika, garam masala and a couple of tbsp of water.
- Reduce heat to low , cover the pan and let the potatoes cook til tender.
- Then add the washed galmo(dry shrimp), chopped tomato, sola(kokum) and the coconut milk. Adjust water for the consistency.
- Cover again and cook till everything is well cooked and blended.
- Serve with hot steamed rice and may be a simple bhaji like beans bhaji.
I got galmo (dry small shrimp ) from a Chinese store.
This is not a traditional goan recipe but sometimes I cook fresh shrimp in this manner too, so well decided to make the galmo in that manner.
I get my stock of kokum when I visit goa, India.