Friday, July 17, 2009

Ananas Jam / Pineapple Jam

Let me start my first recipe post with sweet pineapple jam.
Ma made many different kinds of jams, but mango jam was my favourite. Here in Canada we do not get the mangoes that are used to make jam so I tried making pineapple jam.
I had never tried my hand at making jam but since I came to Canada I have not eaten the home made jam and craved for it, so used my Ma’s formula to make the jam.
My friends love this pineapple jam and ask for the recipe every time I serve it to them.


Ingredients.
2 cups (500 ml)crushed pineapple,
1 and 3/4 cups sugar,
½ tsp cardamom powder,
4 cloves,
Pinch of paprika,
1 tsp lemon juice.

Method.
Mix all ingredients in a small sauce pan and keep on medium flame.

  • Cook uncovered, stirring frequently till all water is evaporated and the jam is thick but not solid.
  • The jam will thicken after cooling completely.
  • Cool completely, fill in jars and enjoy with toast.

Note:
Crushed Pineapple gives the jam a nice texture.

Ma always added a small amount of paprika or chilli powder in the jam, so the jam was not too sweet but hand a slight tinge of the pepper. This jam is not too spicy as is murrabba but I would say it is a sister recipe of it :)

I used regular 1 cup =250ml measure, thanks K for reminding me to mention what cup size I am using for the recipe :)

No comments:

Post a Comment