Monday, February 8, 2010

Masala Idli / Spiced Steamed Cakes

Made these masala idlis using rava idli batter.

Ingredients

Tempering
1 tbsp oil,
1/2 tsp mustard seeds,
1/2 tsp cumin seeds,
1 tsp pepper corn powder,
1/2 tsp grated ginger,
1 tbsp cashew nuts(broken into pieces),
pinch of hing,
5-8 curry leaves.

1 tsp Eno powder.

Method.
  • Heat oil, add all the tempering ingredients(except the Eno & batter).
  • Add this tempering to the batter. Mix well.
  • Keep a steamer and idli stand ready to steam.
  • Add Eno to the batter, mix well and pour into greased idli molds and steam on high for 15 minutes.
  • Take the idli molds out of the steamer and let cool for 5 minutes.
  • Then unmold and enjoy with chutney or sambhar.

Note

Can add grated carrots or peas to the batter.

7 comments:

  1. YUM! I love them I add 2 tbsp of soaked Chana dal too. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know am so thankful to you that you visited my place because i was looking for a good rava idli recipe which will produce spongy idlis. my 10 month old son likes rava idli a lot and my search ended here. thanks for visiting me a therefore helping me discovering yours. following you dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asha.
    My kids do not like any thing in the idlis, actually I ate all these idlis ;), kids ate the plain rava idlis :)

    Sayantani.
    Thanks for visiting my blog.
    The rava and masala idlis actually come out very spongy as I used Eno. Also the addition of the flours give some additional nutition specially for small kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these recently too and my kiddo did not eat them. But the variation from regular idli makes it so great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I somehow always end up buying the readymade batter, one day i must try these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanx for visiting my blog..idlies r my all time fav,looks soft and yummmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Red Chillies,
    the main thing is no need of fermentation, instant idli ready in 15 minutes.

    Aruna,
    do give these idlis a try I am sure u will like them.

    Vrinda,
    idlis r my fav too, can eat idlis for breakfast,lunch, dinner n more.........!!

    ReplyDelete