August 5th was Raksha Bandhan and Narali Poornima so I made this Coconut Mawa barfi. My 2 year old daughter gobbled a couple of the barfi pieces before even tying the rakhi to her brother's hand. :)
- Heat a pan on medium heat and roast rava.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on slow flame till it becomes a soft dough and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Grease a tray (8inch x8inch) with a tsp of ghee and pour the coconut mixture in the tray and spread to form a neat layer.
- Arrange the slivered almonds on the top and press them slightly into the coconut layer.
- Keep in refrigerator for a couple of hours and then cut into desired shape and size.
For 1 cup mawa, I boiled 5 cups of milk and added 2-3 tbsp yogurt, allowed the curdled milk to boil for few minutes so that the channa(soft paneer) is nice and firm. Then strained the channa through a fine seive and rinsed with cold water. I got 1 cup of home made mawa.
Instead of mawa or channa you can use 1 cup strained ricotta cheese.