Saturday, August 22, 2009

Cornflour Delight


Nothing can be more simpler than this delight.
It is very quick and easy to prepare and elegant enough to serve guests. I like the one made with coconut milk and cashew pieces added to it.
This recipe is very dear to me and one of my all time favourite sweets. Very dear bcoz it was one of the last sweets I ate made by my Ma before she passed away.

Ingredients
1 cup cornflour/corn starch,
1 cup sugar,
6 cups water/coconut milk/milk,
1/2 tsp cardamom powder or any essence,
slivered almonds or any kind of nuts for garnish,
food color(optional).

Method.
  • Mix cornflour, sugar, water in a pan and keep on medium low heat. Keep stirring frequently till it becomes very thick paste( about 8-10 minutes)
  • Take the pan off the heat, add cardamom powder or essence (mix food color if adding) and pour into a 8in x 8in pan and smoothen the top with the back of a spoon.
  • Garnish with slivered almonds. Cool completely and cut into desired shapes.
  • Serve room temperature or refrigerate and serve cold.
Note
Add any variety of liquids mentioned or a combo of the liquids.
You just need your imagination to make different creations from this one basic recipe.
Today I made it two toned, I poured half of the cornflour paste in the tray then added 2 drops red food coloring and mixed the remainder of the paste and that gave me pink layer, which I poured over the white layer.

Ma sometimes made it three colored, she added soaked haleem seeds in between the two colored layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment