This is one of my favourite vegetables. It is a simple preparation with the "Goan trinity" of onion, green chilly and coconut. ( Yeah, I thought just as Cajun/Creole cooking has the trinity of onion , pepper and celery in all its dishes, the same way Goan cooking in my family also uses the 3 essential ingredients of onion, green chilly and coconut in everyday dishes, so I thought why not call it the "Goan trinity" ) :)
Ma cooked most of the vegetables without any oil. There were only selected vegetables for which she used the oil tempering(phodni).
No oil is used for this dish so it is practically fat free cooking !!
Peeled Ridge gourd (ghosali)
2 medium sized ridge gourd(ghosali),
2 tbsp moong dal,(optional),
1/2 onion , chopped,
1 green chilly, chopped,
2 tbsp grated coconut,
salt to taste,
pinch of sugar,
2 tbsp water.
- Peel the skin of the ridge gourd and chop it.
- Wash moong dal and soak in 2 tbsp water for 5 minutes.
- Put soaked dal along with water in a pan , add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and keep the pan on medium low heat.
- Stir after 5 minutes. Cook till the dal n the vegetable is tender.
Can use either moong dal or chana dal.
Use the ridge gourd peels to make chutney or thepla.