It is a no cook dessert that is ideally eaten with puri. But we used to have it for breakfast with chappati. I know what a nice way it was to start the day with heavenly creamy shrikhand !!
2 cups yogurt,
3/4 cup powdered sugar,
1/2 tsp powdered cardamom,
pinch of kesar/saffron soaked in 1 tsp warm milk,
some chopped nuts(optional).
- Place a strainer in a bowl, line it with a cheesecloth. Put the yogurt in it and keep in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
- You should get about 1 cup of hung yogurt.
- Add the sugar, soaked saffron in milk and mix well.
- Sprinkle nuts on top and refrigerate.
- Serve chilled and enjoy with puri or chappati !!
The more longer you drain the yogurt the more thick and creamy it will become.
Can add 1 tbsp sour cream to get the same texture and taste as authentic shrikhand.
Mix some mango pulp in the shrikhand to get Aamrakhand(Mango flavoured shrikhand).
This is my entry to Indrani's Summer Foods And Drinks Event.