Cloves is the prominent spice n flavouring agent in this Goan sweet.
1/2 cup rice, washed and drained for 20 minutes,
1 tsp ghee,
1 tsp raisins,
2 tsp chopped cashew nuts,
1 tsp powdered cardamom,
pinch of nutmeg,
pinch of saffron soaked in a tsp of milk or some orange color,
3/4 cup sugar,
2 and 3/4 cup water.
- Heat ghee in a pan on medium heat.
- Add the cloves and rice, saute till the rice is nice n toasty.
- Add the raisins and cashew nuts and saute a minute more.
- Add hot water , cover and cook till the rice is cooked/done.
- Add the cardamom, nutmeg, sugar, saffron milk or color and mix well (but very gently or else the grains of rice will break and become a mush).
Let the rice cook fully as the rice does not cook anymore once the sugar is added.