Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Quick Rajma "Baked" Beans.


"Baked" beans is a regular fare in our family, my son and myself love it very much.
I make baked beans using different kinds of beans each time, today I decided to use Rajma.
The major differentiating factor in this recipe is that I do not "bake" my baked beans but rather pressure cook them. I guess this recipe should be called "Pressure Cooked Baked Beans". :)
This is not an original recipe, I prepare it to suit the taste buds in our family.


Ingredients
3/4 cup rajma soaked in water over night,
1/2 cup barbecue sauce,
1/2 cup molasses,
2 tbsp tomato sauce or ketchup,
1/4 onion, chopped fine,
salt to taste,
1/4 tsp white pepper,
1 tsp mustard,
2 tsp oil.

Method
  • Heat the pressure cooker on medium high heat and add 2 tsp oil.
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and water to cover the rajma. The water should be about 1 inch above the rajma, approximately 1 and 1/2 cups water. Mix well.
  • Put the lid on with the whistle and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles.
  • Once you open the cooker and if it has to much liquid then cook a few minutes uncovered till you get the desired consistency.
  • There you go , pressure cooked "baked" beans ready to enjoy along with grilled chicken or fish and a salad.
Note
Make it as spicy as you like. I made my mild bcoz of my kids.
Can omit onions and mustard.


Event Participation.
This post is my first entry to JFI-Rajma hosted by Divya , an event started by Indira of Mahanandi

No comments:

Post a Comment