3 cups bhindi, cut in a slant or angle,
1 onion, chopped,
1 tomato, diced,
5 cloves garlic, chopped fine,
1/2 tsp turmeric powder(haldi),
1 tsp garam masala,
1/2 tsp dry mango powder(amchur)/ 2 tsp lemon juice,
2 tbsp oil,
1 tsp mustard seeds(rai),
salt to taste.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat.
- When hot add the jeera and mustard seeds, when they splutter add the chopped onion and saute well.
- Next add the tomato and bhindi and mix well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, sprinkle a few teaspoons of water and reduce heat to low and allow the bhindi to cook till tender but not mushy.
- Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves if desired for garnish.
Can cut the bhindi in any desired shape, the end result and taste is the same.
Sometimes Ma made it using green chillies and omitted the garam masala.
Also at times she would add some fresh grated coconut to it.