Sunday, November 29, 2009

Vaal Papdi Bhaaji/French Beans Stir Fry.



This is my 50th post on the blog.

And I would like to post this simple French Beans Stir Fry which is my Pappa's favourite bhaaji.

This vegetable was a regular item and was cooked at least once a week at my parents place. I guess this shows how much my Pappa likes the vegetable.


Usually in Goan kitchen one adds mustard seeds and cumin seeds for the tempering, but somehow I do not know why but Ma only added mustard seeds for this bhaaji. May be my Pappa liked it this way.

And also the vaal papdi was always just cut into pieces about 1 and 1/2 inches in length. My Pappa liked chunkier vegetables then finely chopped or minced, he said that the nutrients of the vegetables is retained when kept chunkier. Also this vegetable was always made nice and crispy. Of course according to his age now Pappa prefers fulled cooked vegetables. :)



Ingredients
2 cups french beans chopped,
1/2 onion chopped,
1 or 2 green chillies chopped or slit,
1 tsp oil,
1 tsp mustard seeds,
salt to taste,
pinch of sugar,
1/2 tsp turmeric powder.

Method.
  • Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds and when they splutter add the chopped onion and green chilly, cook for few minutes then add the cut beans, salt, sugar, turmeric powder and a sprinkle of water and mix well.
  • Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to low and cook on low flame till the beans are cooked but not mushy.
Note
Cut beans to whatever size you prefer.
Add grated coconut if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment