This tomato bhaaji is a typical goan dish eaten with chappatis or bread(pao - this is in konkani for bread rolls) in the morning for breakfast.
My mom used to make this very often.
1 onion, diced,
7-8 tomatoes , diced,
1 green chilly, chopped fine,
3 cloves garlic, minced or sliced,
2 tsp oil,
1 tsp mustard seeds,
1 tsp cumin seeds,
pinch of hing,
2 tbsp grated coconut,
3 tsp goan garam masala or any garam masala,
1/2 tsp turmeric powder,
1 tbsp sugar,
salt to taste.
chopped coriander leaves for garnish.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the hing, mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When they splutter add the chopped onions, garlic and green chilly and fry till the onion in translucent and cooked.
- Next add the chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, garam masala, salt, sugar and grated coconut and mix well.
- Let cook for few minutes uncovered(if you cover there will be lot of liquid in the dish).
- Add chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with bread or chappati.
I prefer mine with bread as the bread soaks up the juicy liquid.
Can add chopped or whole cashew nuts.
Add more green chillies for spicier version. I tend to make mine less spicy because of my kids.